Seasonal salad with fried mackerel-potato cakes
By Agathe Duchesne
recipe_clock 20 min
recipe_cooking 40 min
What you need for this recipe
- 200 g potatoes
- 1 tin La Belle-Iloise mackerel fillets with white wine
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 1/2 organic lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small courgette
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- A dozen cherry tomatoes
- 60 g red cabbage
- For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons fromage blanc
- Chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 an organic lemon
- Salt and pepper
Let's get started
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them into small cubes and steam for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash them with a fork or a potato masher. Add the olive oil and then the flaked mackerel fillets. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley, or cut it directly over the bowl using scissors. Season with salt and pepper. Grate the zest from half of the lemon and mix it with the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Moisten your fingers and shape little potato-mackerel cakes or balls, trying to make them all the same size.
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the cakes and fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning to brown all sides. They should be golden brown.
- Prepare the sauce: mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, make carrot and courgette tagliatelle. Leave the carrots as they are and roll-up the courgette tagliatelle into swirls. Cut the red cabbage into thin strips. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Take two bowls and assemble the ingredients: put a handful of baby spinach leaves in each bowl, then the tomatoes, red cabbage, courgette and carrot. Finish with the fish cakes in the centre. Serve cold or hot as desired.
- Drizzle a little fromage blanc sauce over each bowl and enjoy!
For a gourmet experience, you can bread the fish cakes! Simply dip the fish cakes in beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs before frying them.